Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thankfulness and Karma

This would be a picture of my lovely, 12-year old kitty, Gracie. I never get a good picture of her, so I found this as a great photo op.

Today was a day of pondering my thanks. Of course I'm thankful. I live in a country that, although conflicted politically and socially, is free. I can wear what I want. I can say what I want. I can type on this blog. I can be thankful I have a president that I feel secure with in terms of foreign affairs. I never starve. I have warmth and shelter. I have loving friends, family, and a great, great guy.

I don't have to live in constant fear like Israelis and Palestinians. I don't have to worry about that fact my home was destroyed by an irreversible natural disaster. I don't have to go to school secretly because I'm a woman and it is "not right of me". I don't have to be judged by major countries because of my religious beliefs.

There was a man in the parking lot of Walmart today. He had a backpack and held a cardboard sign. I wasn't able to read all of it, but I could make out the large letters "HUNGRY". My heart sank. Here I am, perfectly healthy, the day before Thanksgiving, with clean clothes on my back and coffee in my hand. I bought him a large deli sandwich and a bottle of water. We drove up to him where another couple was giving him fast food. He struggled to get up, but took the bag of food, blessed us, and wished us well. Was it scam? Was it someone with actual money just trying to get some free food because it was the day before Thanksgiving and he knew people may feel the need to give? Maybe. His own actions are on him. I kept repeating a thought to myself: If I were in his shoes, how would I feel? If I was really bad off? Would I throw in my pride and ask for food? Would I be praying that someone, anyone would lend water, money, clothes? Yes, I certainly would. Even if he scammed me and everyone who gave to him, I wouldn't regret it.

Regardless of what has happened to me during this past year, and before then, from family issues to the robbery, I am so thankful. I'm healthy, strong, smart, and able to do so much. I find myself responsible for those who aren't healthy, aren't strong, aren't "smart" or maybe just unable to receive proper education, and don't have anywhere to go. It's my job to watch out for them, to give, to help make their lives as great as mine is.

I may find myself disgusted at what people do, say, think - I don't agree with half of America, their beliefs, their hatred toward what I do believe in, but I still love humanity. We're all One. I can't love someone who is suffering and say I hate another because I don't agree with them, and vice versa - I would then be a hypocrite.

Other than Enlightening moments, Alex and I got cookie dough, pie crust, and biscuits today for tomorrow. Thanksgiving and being healthy cannot coexist, therefore, I won't fight it. (:


We also went to Goodwill today, and I got a purple-gray cardigan and a long-sleeve gray shirt (I don't have a good-fitting long-sleeve). He got a nice dress shirt and a really nice coat! We're going to look insanely snazzy tomorrow.

Well, that's about all the thoughts I have for right now. I'm really diggin' the blogging experience. 

Love & Light & Peace,
T. Smith

1 comment:

  1. I love you! You are such a blessing to this world, Tess.

    ReplyDelete