Thursday, December 13, 2012

Rime of the Ancient "Frankenstein"

After neglecting this for about a week, I think it's time to do some updating. I'll put three separate posts to organize it a bit better.

I am drawn to literature. I've always known that it's been in me, but it really is coming out lately.
Before starting Frankenstein, we read Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
Long story short, because it is a long poem, the Mariner learns to love all of God's creatures, because they are all beautiful in God's eyes. He is also cursed - he can never die and must go tell people about his tale, usually people who are about to make a life-changing decision.
The description of it was really beautiful, particularly when the Mariner has his realization -

"Beyond the shadow of the ship,
I watched the water-snakes:
They moved in tracks of shining white,
And when they reared, the elfish light
Fell off in hoary flakes.

Within the shadow of the ship
I watched their rich attire:
Blue, glossy green, and velvet black,
They coiled and swam; and every track
Was a flash of golden fire."
 
Afterward his dead shipmates (you really have to read it to understand it all) are animated and move about
the ship performing their duties to make the ship move. They haven't come back to life, though. Kind-spirits
have entered their bodies to help the Mariner. Again, beautiful in a weird way. It reminds me of how Poe 
writes - Coleridge really makes death, loneliness and guilt feel real and puts imagery to each.
 
We then got into Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I knew it wasn't like the Frankenstein monster that we've
all grown up to know, but had no idea it went into such depth of human emotion. It also has a great story
around it.
I will summarize the entire thing once I'm done, but it's great to begin with. You even get to get inside the
mind of Frankenstein's creature, and what he's been through.
 
 I guess this is my English-loving side coming out! I didn't think I would enjoy senior English as much as I do.

Love & Light & Peace,
T. Smith



No comments:

Post a Comment